<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2023) (Jonah Hill, Lauren London) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A white Jewish podcaster and a black Muslim costume designer hope that their polarizing parents don't end up dooming their new romantic relationship.
In a typical rom-com sort of "meet cute" way, L.A.-based broker Ezra (JONAH HILL) ends up accidentally meeting costume designer Amira (LAUREN LONDON) and the two hit it off. They quickly become a couple, much to the surprise of Ezra's podcast partner, Mo (SAM JAY), who doesn't believe white and black people can truly be harmonious due to long-ingrained cultural differences.
That's put to the test when Ezra introduces Amira to his out-of-touch Jewish parents, Shelley (JULIA LOUIS-DREYFUS) and Arnold (DAVID DUCHOVNY), and she later introduces him to her Muslim parents, Akbar (EDDIE MURPHY) and Fatima (NIA LONG).
The latter aren't happy with their black daughter dating a white guy, and his parents try too hard to show Amira that they're hip with all things related to black culture and the being black experience in general. All of which results in the young couple trying to figure out how to deal with all of that, including the mounting pressure it puts on their relationship.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, some sexual material and drug content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.