<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2022) (Naomie Ackie, Stanley Tucci) (PG-13)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young singer must contend with shooting to superstardom and all that comes with that, including various strained relationships with those in her life.
It's 1983 and Whitney Houston (NAOMIE ACKIE) is a young woman who sings backup in the band fronted by her mother, Cissy (TAMARA TUNIE), and has a girlfriend in Robin Crawford (NAFESSA WILLIAMS). When Arista head Clive Davis (STANLEY TUCCI) hears Whitney sing, he's blown away and immediately signs her to his label, with her father, John (CLARKE PETERS), serving as her business manager and Robin as her creative director.
As her star rises and she longs to have a family, she starts seeing men, including hip hop artist Bobby Brown (ASHTON SANDERS). But despite her track record of number one hits and resultant fame, she must contend with strained relationships with some of those in her life, as well as the pressures of being famous and non-stop work, all of which results in her turning to drugs for an escape.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of Houston and her music, that's a definite yes.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For strong drug content, some strong language, suggestive references, and smoking.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.