(2022) (Daisy Edgar-Jones, Taylor John Smith) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young woman who grew up alone and still lives by herself in the marshy swamp area of coastal North Carolina finds herself on trial for the murder of her past lover.
It's 1969 and Kya Clark (DAISY EDGAR-JONES) is a young woman who's lived alone -- since being abandoned as a child -- in the marsh and swamp area of coastal North Carolina. When the body of Chase Andrews (HARRIS DICKINSON) is found nearby, she's the first and only suspect -- especially since she had a romantic fling with him in the past -- and finds herself in jail awaiting her murder trial.
Retired lawyer Tom Milton (DAVID STRATHAIRN) decides to serve as her defense attorney, and as the trial proceeds we see flashbacks to when Kya (JOJO REGINA) was a young girl living with her abusive father, Pa (GARRET DILLAHUNT)), who eventually drove away her mom and siblings.
Years later, she strikes up a romance with Tate Walker (TAYLOR JOHN SMITH) who befriended her as a child -- much like shop owners Mabel (MICHAEL HYATT) and Jumpin' (STERLING MACER JR.) -- and eventually Chase after that. As the trial heads toward the jury's decision, it's unclear what verdict they'll reach.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of the source novel and/or anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sexual content and some violence including a sexual assault.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.