<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2022) (voices of Lyric Ross, Jordan Peele) (PG-13)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Stop-Motion Animated Comedy/Horror: A troubled young teen hopes that two demons can resurrect her dead parents.
Kat Elliot (voice of LYRIC ROSS) is a 13-year-old girl whose world was upended five years ago when a single-vehicle accident claimed the lives of her parents, Wilma (voice of GABRIELLE DENNIS) and Delroy (voice of GARY GATEWOOD). Feeling responsible for that, she ended up becoming a juvenile delinquent and is now getting maybe one last shot at redemption back in her old hometown.
While Rust Bank was once a thriving place, it's now a dilapidated shell of its former self back when Kat's parents ran the local brewery that mysteriously burned down after their tragic deaths. Now, a private prison company known as Klax Korp -- run by Irmgard (voice of MAXINE PEAKE) and Lane Klaxon (voice of DAVID HARDWOOD) -- wants to tear the town down and replace it with a prison, thus potentially threatening the closure of the local Catholic school run by Father Bests (voice of JAMES HONG) where Kat is now enrolled.
There, a trio of girls -- Siobhan (voice of TAMARA SMART), Sweetie (voice of RAMONA YOUNG), and Sloane (voice of SEEMA VIRDI) -- want to add Kat to their clique, but she doesn't want any friends, although she at least tolerates Raul (voice of SAM ZELAYA) who she views as something of a kindred spirit. Little does Kat know, though, is that she's a so-called "Hell maiden" who's been targeted by demons Wendell (voice of KEEGAN-MICHAEL KEY) & Wild (voice of JORDAN PEELE) who are hair farmers for underworld leader Buffalo Belzer (voice of VING RHAMES).
The demons desire to open a fair up in the world of the living, and knowing that Kat is the only person who can summon them, they agree to resurrect her parents if she agrees to do so. At the same time, Sister Helley (voice of ANGELA BASSETT) -- who knows a thing or two about demons, what with similarly being a Hell maiden who's helped school janitor Manberg (voice of IGAL NAOR) add demons to his growing collection -- tries to help Kat deal with that and come to terms with her past and related guilt.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into macabre stop-motion animated offerings (like "Coraline" and "The Nightmare Before Christmas"), they might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some thematic material, violence, substance use, and brief strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.