(2022) (voices of Rosalie Chiang, Sandra Oh) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Computer-Animated Comedy: A young teen must contend with a family curse where any strong emotions turn her into a giant red panda.
It's 2002 and Mei Lee (voice of ROSALIE CHIANG) is a 13-year-old who lives in Toronto with her parents -- Ming (voice of SANDRA OH) and Jin Lee (voice of ORION LEE) -- and helps in their running of the oldest Asian temple in the city. Her best friends are Miriam (voice of AVA MORSE), Priya (voice of MAITREYI RAMAKRISHNAN), and Abby (voice of HYEIN PAR), and all of them are completely infatuated with the boy band 4 Town that's performing in concert in the city in a few weeks.
Mei Lee's enthusiasm for that, however, takes a back seat when she discovers that she's inherited a family curse that only runs on the female side. And that's when girls reach a certain age, and any strong emotions come into play, they transform into giant red pandas. Initially, Mei Lee is terribly embarrassed by and mad about this, but her friends help calm her down and she soon learns that it's actually made her popular among other kids.
All of which worries Ming -- as well as her mom and aunts when they show up to help -- since the greater the number of times Mei Lee turns into her giant panda, the harder it will be to suppress that in a few weeks when a ritual ceremony that can only take place during the red moon will be held.
With Mei Lee and her friends still wanting to attend the 4 Town concert and realizing they can use her "gift" to raise money for the tickets, it's uncertain if she'll abuse the switchover power to the point that she'll end up forever stuck in her panda form.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they like Pixar movies, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic material, suggestive content and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.