(2022) (Boyd Holbrook, Kelly Reilly) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A late 19th-century pathologist investigates a boy's disappearance, only to uncover something truly sinister and deadly.
It's the late 19th century and Seamus Laurent (ALISTAIR PETRIE) is a wealthy landowner who hires mercenaries to dispatch a band of gypsies who claim to have rights to the land. Before all of them are murdered, the leader puts a curse on the man, his family, and their village, all embodied in the form of a silver mouthpiece equipped with fang-like teeth.
Not long after that, the kids of the town -- including Seamus' children, Charlotte (AMELIA CROUCH) and Edward (MAX MACKINTOSH) -- have nightmares featuring those teeth, a murdered man staked up like a scarecrow, and that gypsy leader. One older boy, Timmy (TOMMY RODGER), takes other kids to that spot, inserts the mouthpiece, and attacks Edward while possessed. Charlotte runs back to the family manor where her mother, Isabelle (KELLY REILLY), worries about the boy, especially when he disappears, leaving a bloody mess behind.
It's not long after that constable Alfred Molière (NIGEL BETTS) alerts pathologist John McBride (BOYD HOLBROOK) about what's occurred, notably because he's aware of the man being interested in any happenings involving gypsies. When John arrives in the village, he soon realizes a monster is on the loose, and with it attacking and infecting other people -- turning them into similar monsters -- he does what he can to protect the villagers and kill the creatures before there's any additional loss of life.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into grisly, period-set horror films, they might.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong violence, grisly images, and brief nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.