<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2022) (Freida Pinto, Zawe Ashton) (PG)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Romantic Comedy: Facing social ridicule and gossip after the city's most eligible bachelor passes on her for not meeting the requirements of his future spouse list, a 19th-century London socialite convinces her childhood friend to help her get revenge on him.
Eighteen years after meeting as girls at an early 19th-century ladies academy, Selina Dalton (FREIDA PINTO) lives in the English country, newly unemployed due to her elderly charge having died. Despite her situation, she is not looking for a husband.
Julia Thistlewaite (ZAWE ASHTON) lives in London with her mom and cousin, Lord Cassidy (OLIVER JACKSON-COHEN), and is looking for a husband, and has set her sights -- along with nearly every other single lady -- on the city's most eligible bachelor, John Malcolm (SOPE DIRISU).
But a trip to the opera with him goes badly and soon gossip spreads that she's doomed to be a spinster due to him allegedly spurning her affections, although that's far from the truth. Instead, Lord Cassidy learns that John has a list of requirements that any possible future spouse must meet.
Infuriated by that and having her reputation tarnished, Julia invites Selina to visit her with a plan of revenge where she'll fake meeting all of his requirements, only to then have him fail her own list. She reluctantly goes along, but is more interested in meeting her former employer's nephew, Captain Henry Ossory (THEO JAMES), who also happens to know John.
Nonetheless, John is smitten with Selina as she passes his list of requirements, and she starts to fall for him despite that list. Of course, the truth will eventually be revealed, thus threatening to nip any budding romance in the bud.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those into period-set, romantic comedies might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some smoking and mild language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.