<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2021) (voices of Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ynairaly Simo) (PG)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Computer-Animated Musical: A singer-musician kinkajou travels from Havana to Miami in hopes of delivering his musician friend's never-heard song to his former singing partner.
Andrés Hernandez (voice of JUAN DE MARCOS) and his singer-musician kinkajou partner, Vivo (voice of LIN-MANUEL MIRANDA), routinely perform on the streets of Havana, and make a living from their musical performances. One day, Andrés receives word that his former singing partner and unrequited love interest, Marta Sandoval (voice of GLORIA ESTEFAN), who moved from Cuba to America and became a huge star, is having her last performance in Miami. And she wants him to join her on stage for one last collaboration.
But Andrés isn't sure, what with being an old man, and Vivo is quite happy staying in Cuba. Accordingly, when Andrés decides to go -- particularly to deliver a song he wrote for her that no one has ever heard -- Vivo tries to dissuade him. But once Vivo comes around, it's too late...forever. After meeting Andrés' niece, Rosa (voice of ZOE SALDANA), and her preteen daughter, Gabi (voice of YNAIRALY SIMO), Vivo secretly decides to return with them to Key West, determined to get his friend's song to Marta at Miami's Mambo Cabana club.
Gabi is quickly on board with Vivo's plan and defies her mom's order that the girl sell cookies with the other members -- Becky (voice of KATIE LOWES), Eva (voice of OLIVIA TRUJILLO), and Sarah (voice of LIDYA JEWETT) -- of the local Sand Dollars cookie club. Trying to elude them, Vivo and Gabi end up on a roundabout journey to Miami where they must contend with a huge python, Lutador (voice of MICHAEL ROOKER), while also helping spoonbill Dancarino (voice of BRIAN TYREE HENRY) find love with fellow spoonbill Valentina (voice of NICOLE BYER). With the clock ticking down to Marta's performance, the unlikely duo does what they can to get Andrés' song to her.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who enjoy computer-animated films featuring animals that talk - or are fans of Lin-Manuel Miranda (of "Hamilton" fame) - will probably want to see it.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some thematic elements and mild action.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.