(2021) (Lonnie Chavis, Amiah Miller) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A boy seeks out a mysterious and supposedly immortal legend in hopes that he might hold the answer to his mother's terminal illness.
Gunner Boone (LONNIE CHAVIS) is a boy who's recently moved to a small town in Oregon with his mom, Mary (ROSARIO DAWSON), and dad, Amos (DAVID OYELOWO). While he's not close to the latter who's been away in the Navy, Gunner is with his mom and thus is concerned about her serious illness that's brought Amos back home.
Accordingly, Gunner's concern has manifested itself in the graphic novel comics that he pens and the themes of death. While doing some research, he comes across notes written by the local funeral director, Jim Bussey (ALFRED MOLINA), about a mysterious but legendary figure known as the Water Man who allegedly survived a flood long ago and has ever since been searching for his dead wife to bring her back to life.
That somewhat jives with a story that Gunner earlier heard from a local girl, Jo Riley (AMIAH MILLER), who claims she had a run-in with the Water Man and charges other kids for additional details. Thinking that figure might possess a cure that could save his mom, Gunner ponies up not for more of the story, but instead for Jo to take him into the woods to find him. Always willing to take the cash, she agrees, and they set out for the woods, but when he doesn't come home, Amos contacts Sheriff Goodwin (MARIA BELLO) about him missing.
With a growing wildfire in the forest where the kids are somewhere located, she, Amos, and Mary hope they can be found in time, much like Gunner desires to find the Water Man and his potential cure.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Some might since it features kids in the lead roles.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic content, scary images, peril, and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.