<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2021) (Tye Sheridan, Ben Affleck) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: With an absent father, a boy turned young man looks to his uncle for advice about women, careers, and life in general.
It's the early 1970s and young J.R. Moehringer (DANIEL RANIERI) is moving with his mom, Dorothy (LILY RABE), into her Long Island childhood home where her father, Grandpa Moehringer (CHRISTOPHER LLOYD), haphazardly presides over a household of various family members.
With J.R. only knowing his dad (MAX MARTINI) through hearing the deejay on the radio, he looks up to his uncle Charlie (BEN AFFLECK) -- who runs the local bar -- for fatherly advice. Part of that includes reading as many books as he can, something that instills a desire in the boy to become a writer, although that clashes with his mom's desire that he attend an Ivy League school and then law school.
Years later, J.R. (TYE SHERIDAN) ends up at Yale with one of his roommates, Wesley (RHENZY FELIZ), becoming his best friend, all while J.R. pursues a relationship with classmate Sidney (BRIANA MIDDLETON) who isn't interested in anything serious. As J.R. deals with that and tries to find his way in the world including after graduation, he continues to receive words of wisdom from his uncle.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Some older teens might have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout and some sexual content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.