(2021) (Matt Damon, Adam Driver) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A late 14th century rape is told from the perspectives of the woman, her husband, and the man accused of the crime.
It's the late 14th century and knight Jean de Carrouges (MATT DAMON) is about to duel squire Jacques Le Gris (ADAM DRIVER) to the death to resolve the matter of whether Jacques raped Jean's wife, Marguerite (JODIE COMER). The story then rewinds and is told from their separate perspectives beginning with the two men fighting in battles for the king. Jacques then falls in with the king's cousin, Count Pierre d'Alenšon (BEN AFFLECK), and becomes his debt collector. Broke and needing to engage in battle to earn a living, Jean agrees to marry Marguerite to obtain her dowry.
But when he learns that land that was supposed to be bequeathed to him instead was taken by Pierre who then gave that to Jacques as a reward, that doesn't sit well with Jean. That and other related matters come to a head when Marguerite ends up alone -- after her mother-in-law, Nicole (HARRIET WALKER), leaves with everyone else for the day -- thus allowing Jacques -- who thinks he's fallen in love with Marguerite -- to show up and rape her.
With that matter then ending up in court, we see the events leading up to that -- as told by Jean, Jacques, and Marguerite -- as well as the duel to the death that will decide the fate of all involved.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might have some interest, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast or movies set in medieval times.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong violence including sexual assault, sexual content, some graphic nudity, and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.