(2021) (Frances McDormand, Benicio Del Toro) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: Several human-interest stories make up the latest French dispatch of an American newspaper.
It's the 1970s and the American ex-pat staff of The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun is preparing the obituary for the founding editor, Arthur Howitzer, Jr. (BILL MURRAY). The edition will include a travel section -- reported by bicycling journalist Herbsaint Sazerac (OWEN WILSON) -- about the various notable parts of the town of Ennui-sur-Blasé.
That's followed by three stories. The first is narrated by Dispatch reporter J.K.L. Berensen (TILDA SWINTON) who tells the tale of imprisoned murderer Moses Rosenthaler (BENICIO DEL TORO) who uses one of the prison's guards, Simone (LEA SEYDOUX), as both his nude model and his muse. His work has drawn the interest of fellow inmate Julian Cadazio (ADRIEN BRODY) who'd like to pay for his work, much like art collector Upshur 'Maw' Clampette (LOIS SMITH).
The second story revolves around Lucinda Krementz (FRANCES McDORMAND) who's reporting on student protests, notably involving Zeffirelli (TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET) and his girlfriend, Juliette (LYNA KHOUDRI). And the third is told by journalist Roebuck Wright (JEFFREY WRIGHT) about Gigi (WINSTON AIT HELLAL), the 6-year-old son of the police Commissaire (MATHIEU AMALRIC) who's been kidnapped by a band of criminals and the efforts of the authorities -- including police chef Nescaffier (STEPHEN PARK) -- to get the boy back.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of films by director Wes Anderson, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For graphic nudity, some sexual references and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.