(2021) (Benedict Cumberbatch, Claire Foy) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An eccentric man ends up famous for his illustrations featuring anthropomorphized cats and kittens.
It's the 1880s and Louis Wain (BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH) is a somewhat eccentric man with many interests, but his real gift is his ability to draw with both hands simultaneously. That's landed him a job working for Sir William Ingram (TOBY JONES) at the Illustrated London News. But with Louis now the sole breadwinner for his family -- consisting of five younger sisters and their mother -- oldest sister Caroline (ANDREA RISEBOROUGH) is constantly critical of almost everything about him.
That includes when he ends up falling for and then marrying their governess, Emily Richardson (CLAIRE FOY), resulting in him moving out of the house. While they don't have kids, they rescue a young kitten that they name Peter and that ends up serving as Louis' muse, resulting in lots of drawings of the kitty.
After tragedy strikes, those end up being the outlet for his grief and he becomes famous for those drawings of anthropomorphized cats and kittens. But with his mental health in question as the years go on, it's uncertain what will become of the man known for giving cats a newfound good reputation in the public's eye.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're interested in the true-life story behind the film or are fans of anyone in the cast, it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some thematic material and strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.