(2021) (voices of Kelly Marie Tran, Awkwafina) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Computer-Animated Fantasy/Action-Adventure: A young warrior sets out to find a dragon she hopes can help her reunite broken pieces of a powerful gem that will vanquish the evil that's overrun her world and help reunite her land's divided people.
Long ago, almost everyone in the land of Kumandra got along and lived peacefully. But then mindless monster entities known as the Druun descended on the land and wreaked havoc everywhere, destroying property and turning any living beings they encountered into stone.
Thankfully, the land's dragons banded together to form a powerful gem that destroyed the Druun and reversed the stone spell for all. That is, except for the dragons. With them gone, the people of Kumandra turned on each other and split into various warring factions and the Lands of Fang, Heart, Talon, Spine, and Tail, all wanting the gem for themselves.
It's remained hidden for the past 500 years, thanks to the efforts of Heart ruler Chief Benja (voice of DANIEL DAE KIM) and his many ancestors. Now, his teenage daughter, Raya (voice of KELLY MARIE TRAN), has been added to the lineage and with her training, she's certain to keep the gem protected for another generation.
But at a gathering of all the lands, she makes the mistake of showing the gem to fellow teenager Namaari (voice of GEMMA CHAN), the princess daughter of Virana (voice of SANDRA OH) who leads Fang. In the resultant scuffle between forces on both sides, the gem ends up broken, once again releasing the Druun which sends everyone fleeing for their homelands with a piece of the stone. It also leaves Chief Benja frozen in stone and Raya determined to reverse that situation.
Legend has it that if someone can find the water dragon Sisu (voice of AWKWAFINA) and put all the gem pieces back together, the Druun will again be defeated and those turned to stone returned to normalcy. Now six years later, Raya -- on her loyal and humongous armadillo-pill bug steed known as Tuk Tuk -- is still searching, as is Namaari for her.
Raya ends up unleashing Sisu who's initially unaware of the passage of time and they begin a journey together that ultimately has them running into toddler Noi (voice of THALIA TRAN) and her thieving trio of monkey thieves; pre-teen Boun (voice of IZAAC WANG) who runs a restaurant on his boat that he keeps on the water to avoid the Druun; and Tong (voice of BENEDICT WONG), the last warrior of his land.
Despite their initial differences and seeing Namaari and her warriors as their common enemy, they band together to find and reunite the stone pieces, vanquish the Druun and free those frozen in stone.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Many probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some violence, action, and thematic elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.