<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2021) (Billy Crystal, Tiffany Haddish) (PG-13)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A veteran comedy writer must contend with a past tragedy as well as ever-increasing dementia, all while striking up a friendship with a much younger singer.
Charlie Burnz (BILLY CRYSTAL) is a famous and award-winning comedy writer who currently serves as the senior writer on the TV sketch show "This Just In" where he's helping mentor a struggling young staff writer, Darrell Green (ANDREW DURAND).
Unbeknownst to Charlie's adult children, architect Rex (PENN BADGLEY) and teacher Francine (LAURA BENANTI), he's suffering the early effects of dementia that so far mostly haven't affected his work, but do mean he must follow routine directions to make his way to work. But what does occasionally affect him are flashbacks to a past tragedy involving his late wife, Carrie (LOUISA KRAUSE), which Francine still blames him for, something her teenage daughter, Lindsay (AUDREY HSIEH), is unaware of.
Through an auction bid for lunch with him, Charlie ends up meeting singer Emma Payge (TIFFANY HADDISH), although she doesn't know who he is as it was her ex-boyfriend who originally won that lunch date. During that, Emma ends up with an allergic reaction to shellfish and Charlie ends up footing her medical bills, with her promising to pay him back. As she does so on the installment plan, the two end up occasionally meeting and getting to know each other better, albeit platonically, eventually forming a close friendship.
With her promising to take care of him as his memory fades, he must not only contend with that, but also his efforts to write about his late wife, the related flashbacks to the fateful night of her untimely death, and the effects all of that still has on his adult children.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For strong language, and sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.