(2021) (Ryan Reynolds, Jodie Comer) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi/Action-Comedy: A man learns that he's a character in a video game and does what he can to prevent it from being shut down.
Guy (RYAN REYNOLDS) leads a seemingly ordinary life as a bank teller where every day seems like the rest, including interacting with the bank's security guard, Buddy (LIL REY HOWERY). But things change when he sees an exotic-looking woman known as Molotov Girl (JODIE COMER), and that breaks him out of his routine, much to the shock and concern of those with whom he interacts daily. What he doesn't realize is that Molotov Girl is really just the "Free City" game avatar for computer programmer Millie (JODIE COMER).
She's inside the game looking for proof that Sodnami Studios CEO Antwan (TAIKA WAITITI) stole the coding for another game she created with her former programming partner, Walter "Keys" McKeys (JOE KEERY), and incorporated it into "Free City." Key works alongside his friend Mouser (UTKARSH AMBUDKAR) for Antwan and believes Millie should give it a rest with the allegations, but she perseveres, all of which eventually leads Guy to learn that he's nothing more than an NPC (non-player character) inside the game. Albeit one who's now become self-aware.
With Antwan initially enjoying the attention that brings to his game but then realizing it could negatively impact his upcoming sequel, he orders his workers to find and remove Guy from the game in any necessary manner. All of which means that Guy must figure out what's going on and prevent that -- and the shutting down of the game overall -- before it's too late.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Reynolds and the video game angle will likely entice some, especially teenagers.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For strong fantasy violence throughout, language and crude/suggestive references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.