(2021) (Max Harwood, Sarah Lancashire) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Musical: A teen throws all caution to the wind, but must deal with the repercussions, as he follows his dream of becoming a drag queen.
It's the sixteenth birthday of Jamie New (MAX HARWOOD) who lives in Sheffield, England with his divorced mom, Margaret (SARAH LANCASHIRE). While Jamie's dad (RALPH INESON) doesn't show up to help him celebrate -- what with disowning the teen due to being gay, a choice Margaret has kept secret from their son -- Margaret's best friend, Ray (SHOBNA GULATI), helps them celebrate, including seeing his reaction to his gift of ruby red high heels.
They're aware of his desire to become a drag queen one day, something his best friend and classmate, Pritti Pasha (LAUREN PATEL), soon learns. But his flamboyant ways don't sit well with class bully, Dean Paxton (SAMUEL BOTTOMLEY), or their teacher, Miss Hedge (SHARON HORGAN), who advises her students not to dream too big regarding their future jobs. Undeterred, Jamie decides he's going to come out -- in full drag -- at the school prom, and thus visits a clothing store run by former drag queen, Hugo Battersby (RICHARD E. GRANT), who ends up as the teen's mentor.
As they prepare to get him ready for that, Jamie must contend with the reaction of others, all while hoping that his estranged father will be proud of him.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Fans of the musical might be interested in seeing it, while kids who are bullied by others might be drawn to the story of someone like them.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, strong language, and suggestive material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.