(2021) (Tom Holland, Daisy Ridley) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: Denizens of failed settlements on a far-away planet -- where the thoughts and dreams of all males can be heard and seen by all -- must contend with the arrival of a newcomer.
It's the year 2257 and various mostly failed settlements dot a planet six decades away from Earth. Todd (TOM HOLLAND) is an orphaned teenager who was born there and raised by Ben (DEMIAN BICHIR) and Cillian (KURT SUTTER) and has never seen a woman, what with being told the humanoid type creatures that live there -- the Spackle -- killed all of them. The defining element of the world, though, is that it somehow causes the thoughts and dreams (known as "the noise") of all males -- and only the males -- to be heard and seen by all.
Todd still hasn't mastered trying to mask that to keep his thoughts private, including from his nemesis, Davy (NICK JONAS), the son of Mayor David Prentiss (MADS MIKKELSEN), or Aaron (DAVID OYELOWO), a fire and brimstone preacher who's teaming with angry thoughts and warnings of what's coming next for sinners. Todd's inability to hide his thoughts eventually reveals that he's just discovered the wreckage of a scout spaceship and its lone survivor, Viola (DAISY RIDLEY).
It's not long before everyone in Prentisstown learns of her presence, with the Mayor desiring to gain control of her parent ship should it arrive. Realizing that won't be good for her, Todd decides to go on the run with Viola and sets off for the settlement of Farbranch run by Hildy (CYNTHIA ERIVO) where the newcomer hopes to find a means to contact her people. But they must contend with Mayor Prentiss and his followers who won't give up their chase of the two.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of the novel on which this is based and/or any of the cast members.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For violence and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.