(2021) (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, Teyonah Parris) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A painter becomes obsessed in various ways with an urban legend where if a certain name is repeated five times while looking in a mirror, murder will be the result.
Anthony McCoy (YAHYA ABDUL-MATEEN II) is a Chicago-based painter who's dating gallery curator Brianna Cartwright (TEYONAH PARRIS) and is looking for inspiration for his latest project. He thinks he's found just that after hearing a scary story told by Brianna's brother, Troy (NATHAN STEWART-JARRETT), along with general talk of the gentrification of certain areas, such as the housing complexes of Cabrini Green.
Anthony travels to that mostly deserted neighborhood, where he meets Laundromat owner William Burke (COLMAN DOMINGO) who grew up there and witnessed cops murder Sherman Fields (MICHAEL HARGROVE), wrongly believing him to be responsible for putting razor blades into candy given to children.
Anthony also learns of the urban legend of the Candyman and that if you say his name five times while looking into a mirror, that supernatural figure will show up and kill you. And that's exactly what happens after hours at Brianna's gallery where two people end up murdered by the Candyman who's visible only in mirror and other glass reflections. As Anthony becomes obsessed with painting scenes of past violence toward black people of that area, the Candyman legend spreads and starts taking more victims.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into socially conscious horror films, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For bloody horror violence, and language including some sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.