(2020) (Charlie Plummer, Taylor Russell) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A high school student must not only contend with his schizophrenia and its various manifestations, but also falling for his classmate tutor.
Adam Petrazelli (CHARLIE PLUMMER) is a high school student who suffers from schizophrenia. For him, that not only manifests itself in the form of a demonic, disembodied voice that instills self-doubt, but also a trio of characters only Adam can see and hear. Those are the empathetic Rebecca (ANNASOPHIA ROBB), the ribald playboy Joaquin (DEVON BOSTICK), and an unnamed, tough-man Bodyguard (LOBO SEBASTIAN) who, along with his similar baseball bat-wielding cronies, is always prepared to take violent measures to protect Adam.
After yet another troubling incident at school, Adam's mom, Beth (MOLLY PARKER), and her live-in boyfriend, Paul (WALTON GOGGINS), transfer the teen to a Catholic school run by Sister Catherine (BETH GRANT) where Father Patrick (ANDY GARCIA) presides over services and acts as the de facto guidance counselor. Seemingly not needing his help is star student Maya Arnez (TAYLOR RUSSELL) who Adam soon learns accepts cash payment under the table to help some of her classmates. While she typically doesn't tutor others, she makes an exception for Adam in whom she sees something of a kindred spirit.
As their school arrangement turns into friendship and then romance and as he hopes to graduate to attend culinary school, Adam must contend with his illness and the side effects of the medication he takes for it.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Since it's about teenagers, similarly aged viewers might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For mature thematic content involving mental illness, some sexual references, strong language and smoking.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.