(2020) (Jahzir Bruno, Anne Hathaway) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A boy and his grandmother try to stop a witch leader and her coven from turning children into easier to kill mice.
It's 1968 and a never named 8-year-old kid -- listed in the credits as Hero Boy (JAHZIR BRUNO) -- suddenly finds himself orphaned and now living with his tough but loving Grandma (OCTAVIA SPENCER) in her Alabama home. For a while, and understandably so, he's in a depressed funk, but his grandma gets him out of that, partially with the help of a pet mouse that he names Daisy.
But just as he's getting better, they realize a witch is after him, and since all witches hate children, Grandma pulls some strings and gets them a room at the posh Grand Orleans Imperial Island Hotel where she figures they'll be safe and hotel manager Mr. Stringer (STANLEY TUCCI) welcomes them.
Unbeknownst to any of them, a local meeting of the International Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children in the ballroom there is really a cover for a meeting of witches ruled by the Grand High Witch (ANNE HATHAWAY). Like the rest of them, she hates children and plots to have witches open candy stores around the country where such goodies will be laced with a potion that will turn children into far more easily squishable mice.
She showcases what she's plotting by nabbing the always hungry Bruno (CODIE-LEI EASTICK) and turning him into a mouse, something that shocks Hero Boy who's hiding under the stage. But his pet mouse, who's actually Mary (voice of KRISTIN CHENOWETH), another human who's been mousified by witches, saves Bruno.
With Hero Boy then turned into one as well, it's up to the trio of mice and Grandma to foil the Grand High Witch's plan.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Probably, especially if they like scary movies designed for them.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For scary images/moments, language, and thematic elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) Take advantage of our Black Friday Membership Sale for a one-year membership,and save $10 off our regular price ($47), AND get 2 EXTRA MONTHS FREE (a Total Savings of more than 32%)! This offer happens only ONCE A YEAR and is only good NOW until midnight, Monday November 30, so don't wait!
You'll get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.