(2020) (Dixie Egerickx, Colin Firth) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An orphan goes to live with her uncle and discovers a magical secret garden on the estate that changes her outlook on life.
It's 1947 and young Mary Lennox (DIXIE EGERICKX) has found herself an orphan at her late British parents' home in India. She's then shipped off to live with her uncle, Archibald Craven (COLIN FIRTH), at his remote estate known as Misselthwaite Manor on the Yorkshire Moors. She learns the rules of the place from the house manager, Mrs. Medlock (JULIE WALTERS), but that doesn't prevent Mary from acting like a spoiled brat, including toward one of the maids, Martha (ISIS DAVIS), who she believes should be her servant answering her every beck and call.
Mary's attitude begins to change when she befriends a stray dog on the nearby grounds, which leads to her discovering a secret garden that's been walled off from the rest of the world. Her evolution continues when she meets Martha's younger brother, Dickon (AMIR WILSON), and her bedridden cousin, Colin (EDAN HAYHURST), who's been hidden away by his father following the death of Colin's mother.
As Mary gets to know them and discovers more about her late mother, she eventually discovers that the secret garden might just be magical, something she plans to use to help heal her cousin.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might, what with the main characters also being kids, while fans of the source novel will probably be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements and some mild peril.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.