(2020) (Meryl Streep, James Corden) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Musical: A quartet of narcissistic Broadway performers travel to a small Indiana town in hopes of rehabbing their public personas by protesting the local PTA's decision to call off the prom due to one lesbian student wanting to attend.
Things aren't going great for 17-year-old Emma Nolan (JO ELLEN PELLMAN), a high school student in Edgewater, Indiana. Having recently come out as a lesbian, her desire to attend her school's prom has caused PTA president Mrs. Greene (KERRY WASHINGTON) to call off that event, much to the chagrin of Principal Tom Hawkins (KEEGAN-MICHAEL KEY). What none of the adults know is that Emma's girlfriend is none other than Mrs. Green's teenage daughter, Alyssa (ARIANA DeBOSE).
Nor do they realize that their town is about to be invaded by a quartet of narcissistic Broadway performers. Two-time Tony winner Dee Dee Allen (MERYL STREEP) and her co-star, Barry Glickman (JAMES CORDEN), are coming off scathing reviews for their latest musical, while former sitcom star turned Broadway actor Trent Oliver (ANDREW RANNELLS) now works as a bartender and chorus line performer Angie Dickinson (NICOLE KIDMAN) is tired of never being noticed.
Needing a way to rehabilitate their public personas, they decide to look for an easy cause they can support and come across the story about Emma and her prom being canceled. Arriving in a way that only pompous Broadway performers could, the quartet storm the PTA meeting and realize they're up against a bunch of homophobic parents whose kids think the same way about Emma. Determined not to fail for both Emma and themselves, the performers do what they can to try to make the prom happen and allow Emma to attend.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of movies based on Broadway musicals or of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements, some suggestive/sexual references and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.