(2020) (LaKeith Stanfield, Issa Rae) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A reporter ends up dating a woman whose mother ended her own similar romance decades ago by moving away from it, something the reporter might end up doing as well.
Michael Block (LaKEITH STANFIELD) is an investigative reporter from New York who's working on a story in Louisiana where he's interviewing an older man, Isaac Jefferson (ROB MORGAN), about his long lost love from decades ago, Christina Eames (CHANTE ADAMS), who ended their romance when she moved to New York to pursue a career in photography. Returning to the Big Apple, Mike meets her daughter, Mae Morton (ISSA RAE), who's recently found two letters from her mom who's recently passed away. One is for Mae and the other is for Isaac.
With his work intern friend Andy Morrison (KELVIN HARRISON JR.) in tow, Michael ends up on an impromptu double date of sorts with Mae and her friend Rachel Miller (JASMINE CEPHAS JONES) and both would-be couples hit it off. Michael's brother, Kyle (LIL REL HOWERY), later gives him a joking hard time about that, but Michael doesn't really care as he's completely smitten with Mae. A pending job offer far from home, however, might complicate matters, much like it did for Christina when she was seeing young Isaac (Y'LAN NOEL).
As the stories from the past and present alternate, it's uncertain whether the current romance will work or end up like the one from the past.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be drawn to the romance angle, as might fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sexuality and brief strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.