(2020) (Denzel Washington, Rami Malek) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A formerly disgraced detective returns to Los Angeles and teams up with his replacement to try to find a serial killer who's preying on young women.
Years ago, Joe "Deke" Deacon (DENZEL WASHINGTON) was a star detective with the LAPD, working with partner Sal Rizoli (CHRIS BAUER). But his efforts to find and stop a serial killer eventually became an obsession resulting in his suspension, a divorce from his wife, and a heart attack. He now works for the sheriff's department in Bakersfield but travels to Los Angeles upon orders from his boss regarding an unrelated case. There, he sees his old friends including Sal and medical examiner Flo Dunigan (MICHAEL HYATT) as well as young star detective Jim Baxter (RAMI MALEK) who essentially took his place.
Jim initially humors Deke as the former but now fallen prodigy. But he allows him to tag along to a crime scene -- the latest featuring a young woman who's been slain in a ritualistic fashion, indicating the work of a serial killer -- when he realizes they're cut from the same cloth and Deke might be able to help.
The former detective's focus on the little things that others might ignore or not even see eventually leads them to believe that appliance repairman Albert Sparma (JARED LETO) might be their prime suspect. But he's a wily sort who's knowledgeable about police procedures and seems to enjoy playing the detectives who must figure out if he's the actual killer or just a twisted man who enjoys toying with them.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens who are fans of anyone in the cast or detective-based dramatic thrillers might have some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violent/disturbing images, language, and full nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.