(2020) (Matthew McConaughey, Charlie Hunnam) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Crime Dramedy: An American expat must contend with the behavior of various criminal types when word gets out that his England-based pot empire is up for sale.
- Over the past several decades, American expat Michael "Mickey" Pearson (MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY) -- with the help of his equally ambitious wife, Rosalind (MICHELLE DOCKERY), and highly efficient right-hand man, Ray (CHARLIE HUNNAM) -- has created a highly lucrative pot empire throughout England, hiding it underground among the estates of cash-poor British royals.
But now he wants out of the business and is hoping to sell it to rival criminal kingpin Matthew Berger (JEREMY STRONG) for the tidy sum of four hundred million pounds. As the latter starts checking out the operations, word gets out about Mickey wanting to sell, drawing the attention of Asian drug kingpin Lord George (TOM WU) who's made his fortune selling coke and heroin and must contend his impatient protégé, Dry Eye (HENRY GOLDING).
At the same time, tabloid editor Big Dave (EDDIE MARSAN) has a bone to pick with Mickey for a prior snub and thus hires Fletcher (HUGH GRANT), a sleazy private detective, to dig up dirt on the pot kingpin. Looking to work both sides of that, he shows up at Ray's house with a blackmail offer he's sure can't be refused.
Things become more complicated when some young punks trained by Coach (COLIN FARRELL) decide to rob one of Mickey's plant-growing facilities and post their violent escapades online. All of which means what Mickey believed was going to be a quiet transaction has turned into an ever-growing mess, something he wants cleaned up as quickly as possible.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of director Guy Ritchie's past crime flicks -- or who are fans of anyone in the cast -- might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, language throughout, sexual references and drug content.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.