(2020) (Riz Ahmed, Paul Raci) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A drummer must contend with hearing loss and how that affects his life both professionally and personally.
Ruben Stone (RIZ AHMED) is a drummer in the heavy metal duo Blackgammon where he plays behind Lou (OLIVIA COOKE), the lead singer and guitarist who also happens to be his girlfriend. They live out of an old and small RV and travel around the country earning a living playing small but extremely loud gigs. Probably due to that, Ruben is suddenly struck with severe hearing loss and learns that cochlear implants are likely the only solution to his issue. All of which means he'll have to keep playing such loud gigs in hopes of making enough money to pay for them, thus worsening his condition.
Concerned about his past addiction, Lou arranges for Ruben to check in at a small community of recovering addicts who are also deaf, run by Vietnam vet and recovering alcoholic Joe (PAUL RACI). Not wanting to accept this new development and unable to communicate since he doesn't know American Sign Language, Ruben initially wants no part of this arrangement, has a hard time fitting in, and misses Lou who isn't allowed to stay as part of the initiation for newcomers. But as the days and weeks pass, and he interacts with others there such as teacher Diane (LAUREN RIDLOFF), Ruben begins to acclimate to the place and his condition, although the temptation of getting those implants is never far from his mind.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might, especially if they're into music, are fans of anyone in the cast, or might be interested in stories about hearing loss and deafness.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout and brief nude images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.