(2020) (voices of Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Computer-Animated Comedy: After accidentally dying, a music teacher tries to return to Earth to fulfill his life dream of professionally playing piano in a band on stage.
Joe Gardner (voice of JAMIE FOXX) is a musician who dreams of one day playing piano on stage but currently works as a middle-school music teacher. When a former student informs him of a one-time gig playing in the backup band for legendary sax player Dorothea Williams (voice of ANGELA BASSETT), he jumps at the chance. But he's so overjoyed with the opportunity that he doesn't pay attention to where he's walking and ends up falling into an open manhole.
That results in him heading toward the afterlife, something he's not ready for and thus he flees, hoping to return to Earth to fulfill his dream. Instead, he ends up in a realm where new souls are born and then mentored to find their true spark in life before being sent to inhabit a newborn on Earth. Joe pretends to be one of those in hopes of taking such a spark to jump back into his body and ends up with soul 22 (voice of TINA FEY). She's had countless mentors over the centuries, none of which have helped her, what with her being comfortable where she is.
Realizing he could use her spark for himself, he sets out to help her find hers, but a mix-up involving a modern-day shaman of sorts complicates matters back on Earth. All of which means Joe must get everything back in order if he hopes to take the stage and play with Dorothea and the rest of the band.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's a Pixar movie, so if they enjoy those, that's a definite yes.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.