(2020) (Bill Nighy, Sam Riley) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A man tries to find his long-missing son, all while his second son tries to deal with their tenuous relationship.
Alan Mellor (BILL NIGHY) is a stylish tailor who's shown up in a coastal town to meet his adult son, Peter (SAM RILEY), to check whether a recently discovered body is that of Peter's long-missing brother, Michael. Also, there are Arthur (TIM McINNERNY) and Margaret (JENNY AGUTTER) whose son is likewise missing, and they and Alan try to divert their troubles by a game of Scrabble the night before meeting the coroner.
When Alan and Peter learn it's not Michael, they return home, with Alan unexpectedly showing up Peter's home -- where he lives with his wife, Sue (ALICE LOWE), and their teenage son, Jack (LOUIS HEALY), who's smitten with a teen he sees every day on the bus, Rachel (ELLA-GRACE GREGOIRE).
Peter has misgivings about his father, not only from his childhood where they played with second-rate knock-off toys rather than the real thing, but also from their father viewing him as second-rate compared to the prodigal son.
With Alan bonding with his grandson and using his computer in hopes of finding Michael through an online Scrabble community, Peter tries to mend his relationship with his dad.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic elements and some sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.