(2020) (Elisabeth Moss, Odessa Young) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young married couple agrees to stay with a professor and his mentally ill writer wife who eventually bonds with the younger woman.
It's the mid 20th century and Rose (ODESSA YOUNG) and Fred Nemser (LOGAN LERMAN) have arrived in a college town in Vermont where Fred is to work as the teaching assistant to professor Stanley Hyman (MICHAEL STUHLBARG) at an all-female college. While the young women adore him, his wife, novelist Shirley Jackson (ELISABETH MOSS), is the true star of the family, although her mental illness and agoraphobia have left her housebound for some time.
That and her creative block have grown both worrisome and tiresome to Stanley who offers the Nemsers free room and board at the house if Rose will help cook and clean and Fred will help lessen some of Stanley's workload. The young couple is reluctant but agrees to the offer, with Rose initially not liking Shirley's brash behavior despite being a fan of her work. But Rose's presence helps partially bring Shirley out of her mental stupor and focus on a missing college student named Paula (ODESSA YOUNG) as the possible source for her next book.
As that writing commences and Rose is introduced to the academic world of unfaithful husbands, the two women begin to bond in unexpected ways.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of anyone in the cast or the real-life author, it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For sexual content, nudity, language and brief disturbing images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.