(2020) (Michael Jr., Dahlia Waingort) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A one-time aspiring stand-up comedian turned unfulfilled family man and reality TV show editor finds a new calling in life as an Internet sensation, only to realize what he needs in his life is religion.
Back in the 1990s, Ben Marcus (MICHAEL JR.) was an up and coming stand-up comedian, but family tragedies snuffed out his spark. He now works as a reality TV show editor for the demanding and mean gardening show host Rosie (CHONDA PIERCE) and is friends with their studio's tech guy, Mickey (JOHNNY PACAR), who's studying to become a full-time preacher.
Mickey is under the assumption that Ben is a perfect Christian family man. Ben, however, is fully aware that he isn't a great dad to teenager Hannah (SHELBY SIMMONS) or her younger brother, Jack (JALON CHRISTIAN). That's something his wife, Jessica (DAHLIA WAINGORT), reminds him of daily, what with him moping his way through life and not helping much around the house. That's something she confides in to her best friend, Carol (KAREN ABERCROMBIE), who suggests that Jessica pray for him more, with Jessica hoping he not only gets out of his funk, but becomes more of a devout Christian like her.
Ben's life changes when -- after learning from Jack that people can make money from posting videos online and gaining huge followings -- his attempts to fix the toilet turn him into an instant Internet celebrity after Jack edits and posts a video of that disastrous handyman attempt. With Mickey wanting Ben to read his book about how to read the Bible and grow from that, Ben's online popularity grows via his fix-it alter-ego, "Selfie Dad." But Ben soon learns that the thing he needs to fix most is his relationship with his wife, kids, and God, and he uses Mickey's advice to help him do just that.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast or the religious story angle is a draw to them, it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements and some suggestive material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.