(2020) (Michael Jr., Dahlia Waingort) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A one-time aspiring stand-up comedian turned unfulfilled family man and reality TV show editor finds a new calling in life as an Internet sensation, only to realize what he needs in his life is religion.
Back in the 1990s, Ben Marcus (MICHAEL JR.) was an up and coming stand-up comedian, but family tragedies snuffed out his spark. He now works as a reality TV show editor for the demanding and mean gardening show host Rosie (CHONDA PIERCE) and is friends with their studio's tech guy, Mickey (JOHNNY PACAR), who's studying to become a full-time preacher.
Mickey is under the assumption that Ben is a perfect Christian family man. Ben, however, is fully aware that he isn't a great dad to teenager Hannah (SHELBY SIMMONS) or her younger brother, Jack (JALON CHRISTIAN). That's something his wife, Jessica (DAHLIA WAINGORT), reminds him of daily, what with him moping his way through life and not helping much around the house. That's something she confides in to her best friend, Carol (KAREN ABERCROMBIE), who suggests that Jessica pray for him more, with Jessica hoping he not only gets out of his funk, but becomes more of a devout Christian like her.
Ben's life changes when -- after learning from Jack that people can make money from posting videos online and gaining huge followings -- his attempts to fix the toilet turn him into an instant Internet celebrity after Jack edits and posts a video of that disastrous handyman attempt. With Mickey wanting Ben to read his book about how to read the Bible and grow from that, Ben's online popularity grows via his fix-it alter-ego, "Selfie Dad." But Ben soon learns that the thing he needs to fix most is his relationship with his wife, kids, and God, and he uses Mickey's advice to help him do just that.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast or the religious story angle is a draw to them, it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements and some suggestive material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.