(2020) (Jay Reeves, Thaddeus J. Mixson) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A college freshman tries to balance school, football, and secretly taking care of his younger brother on campus.
It's 2006 and Ray McElrathbey (JAY REEVES) is an incoming freshman at Clemson where he's received a full athletic scholarship to play safety for football coaches Tommy Bowden (MATTHEW GLAVE) and Brad Simmons (JAMES BADGE DALE). They demand he give it his all during training, fully aware of academic workloads and having to contend with upperclassman players such as Keller (MILES BURRIS) not giving him or Ray's roommate and kicker, Daniel Morelli (HUNTER SANSONE), any slack until they've earned it.
But Ray has other issues he must simultaneously deal with, namely a mother who's in prison and then drug rehab back in Atlanta, meaning his 11-year-old brother, Fahmarr (THADDEUS J. MIXSON), has no guardian and is repeatedly getting into trouble. With their dad long gone from the picture and with no one else to turn to, Ray decides -- with Daniel's permission -- to sneak Fahmarr into his dorm room and keep him hidden until his mom's stint in rehab is up.
All of which puts a great deal of pressure on Ray, something his coaches notice, as does Ray's classmate and potential girlfriend, Kaycee Stone (CORINNE FOXX), who works in the bookstore and does TV interviews for the school. With Ray burning the candle on both ends -- and in the middle -- he tries to balance school, football, hanging out with Kaycee, and taking care of his brother without anyone learning about the latter.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they know about the true-life story or are into college football.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic content involving drug addiction, and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.