(2020) (Lily James, Armie Hammer) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young woman travels to her new husband's estate where she learns his late wife's spirit still affects everything and everyone there.
It's the mid-1930s and the never-named Narrator (LILY JAMES) is a young woman who works for Mrs. Van Hopper (ANN DOWD), a rich American woman who wants to maintain her social status by associating with other rich and famous people. While in Monte Carlo, she's set her sights on recent widower Maxim de Winter (ARMIE HAMMER) who politely wants nothing to do with her, but is instantly smitten with the Narrator. Soon, he's whisking her off for adventurous day trips during which romance blossoms between the two.
When Van Hopper announces they're returning to America, the Narrator alerts Maxim to this and he decides on the spot to marry her and return her to his lavish estate in Cornwall, known as Manderley. Everyone there -- including house manager Mrs. Danvers (KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS) and estate manager Frank Crawley (TOM GOODMAN-HILL) -- is surprised by this turn of events, what with his previous wife, Rebecca, having been the love of his life and the Narrator not coming from a prestigious family.
While the young bride makes some allies among the staff such as her maid, Clarice (BRYONY MILLER), she can't help but note the looks she gets from nearly everyone else, especially Mrs. Danvers who admits to her past close relationship with Rebecca. When that woman's first cousin, Jack Favell (SAM RILEY), shows up, things become more complicated, what with him being banned from the estate but saying a nebulous note to him from the previous Mrs. de Winter has left him searching for an answer since her death.
All of which leads the Narrator to continue her own searching for the truth about her predecessor and everyone's reaction to her showing up to take that woman's place.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Some older teens might be interested, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some sexual content, partial nudity, thematic elements and smoking.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) Take advantage of our Black Friday Membership Sale for a one-year membership,and save $10 off our regular price ($47), AND get 2 EXTRA MONTHS FREE (a Total Savings of more than 32%)! This offer happens only ONCE A YEAR and is only good NOW until midnight, Monday November 30, so don't wait!
You'll get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.