(2020) (voices of Cathy Ang, Phillipa Soo) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Computer-Animated Musical: A girl sets off for the moon to prove not only that an immortal goddess is real, but also that love continues after death, all to prevent her widowed father from forgetting his late wife and remarrying.
Fei Fei (voice of BRYCEN TAYLOR HALL) is a young girl who lives in a Japanese town with her parents, Ba Ba (voice of JOHN CHO) and Ma Ma (voice of RUTHIE ANN MILES) and enjoys repeatedly hearing the legend of Chang'e who gained immortality but in doing so lost her lover, Houyi, only to ascend to the moon where she's longed for him ever since.
Fei Fei's parents run a small restaurant that sells mooncakes -- especially during the annual Moon Festival -- and everything seems perfect for them. But then Ma Ma gets sick, eventually passes away, and now four years later Fei Fei (voice of CATHY ANG) still grieves for her mother while taking her place in the mooncake shop.
Thus, she's shocked to learn that her dad has a girlfriend in Mrs. Zhong (voice of SANDRA OH), and it doesn't help that her hyperactive 8-year-old son, Chin (voice of ROBERT F. CHIU), is an irritant to Fei Fei. In a mixed moment of desperation and inspiration, the girl figures that if she can somehow get to the moon to prove that Chang'e exists and that one doesn't give up on love, then her dad won't forget her mom and then marry Zhong.
Through determination, smarts, and some luck, Fei Fei manages to get to the moon, but isn't happy to discover Chin as her surprise stowaway. They eventually meet Chang'e (voice of PHILLIPA SOO), who's a cross between the queen of Lunaria and a diva pop star. But that woman expects an unspecified gift from them in exchange for photographic proof she exists for Fei Fei's dad.
The girl then sets out to find that unknown thing and ends up getting help from a court castaway, the chatty and effervescent Gobi (voice of KEN JEONG). With everyone else from Lunaria also trying to find the mysterious gift, Fei Fei must pull out all the stops to beat them to it and eventually return to Earth to convince her dad to remember and never stop loving her mom.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They probably will if they like animated movies.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some thematic elements and mild action.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.