(2020) (Yifei Liu, Jason Scott Lee) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama/Action: A young woman poses as a man to join the Imperial Chinese army and help repel enemy invaders.
Long ago in imperial China, Hua Mulan (YIFEI LIU) is a young woman living with her parents, Zhou (TZI MA) and Li (ROSALIND CHAO), and her sister, Xiu (XANA TANG). Unlike others of her gender, Mulan is quite proficient in martial arts and has a strong "chi" presence, something not lost on her war hero father who nonetheless knows there's no future for her with that and the only honorable thing for her to do is allow a matchmaker to find her a husband.
That gets interrupted when word arrives that Böri Khan (JASON SCOTT LEE), the fearsome leader of Rouran invaders, has been attacking garrisons along the Silk Road and, with the help of the powerful witch Xianniang (GONG LI), is preparing to attack the Imperial City.
Getting word of this, the Emperor (JET LI) orders that all families offer up one male member to join the army and repel the invaders. With no sons and despite his age and a bad leg, Zhou prepares to represent his family. But Mulan sneaks off at night, taking his sword, armor, and conscription papers to join the army under the male identity of Hua Jun.
She ends up fooling Commander Tung (DONNIE YEN), other trainers, and fellow recruits such as Honghui (YOSON AN) as she trains and proves her mettle. But with Khan's forces drawing closer, Mulan wonders if she'll be able to keep her gender secret, especially once they get into battle with the invaders.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those thinking this will be like the Disney animated musical (it's not) might be drawn to it. Otherwise, it could appeal to girls since it features a strong young female protagonist.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sequences of violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.