(2020) (Josh Hartnett, Antoine-Olivier Pilon) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An investigative journalist tries to expose the framing of a common junkie as a drug kingpin, all of which has led that man to be imprisoned in a Thai prison.
Victor Malarek (JOSH HARTNETT) is an investigative journalist working for Canada's The Globe and Mail newspaper and has a new baby with his wife, Anna (AMANDA CREW). He's currently trying to uncover what looks like shady dealings between Canada's federal police and their counterparts in Thailand regarding one Daniel Léger (ANTOINE-OLIVIER PILON).
He's a small-time junkie who Victor believes was framed as some sort of drug kingpin. As Victor continues with his investigation and runs into interference from Canadian officials the story rewinds to when Daniel -- now clean from his dope addiction for six months -- arrives in a new town only to run into charter boat captain Glen Picker (JIM GAFFIGAN) who's also a drug dealer and gets Daniel hooked again.
But he also gives Daniel a job working on the boat and picking up drugs for clients including from pawnshop owner Mary (ROSE-MARIE PERREAULT). Unbeknownst to them, however, Picker is also an informant for Sgt. Frank Cooper (STEPHEN McHATTIE) of the Federal Police's narcotics division.
Having been passed over for a promotion, he wants a big score and due to confusion with Daniel's name, he and his work partner, Moore (MARK CAMACHO), believe the junkie is a drug kingpin of some sort. Eventually enlisting the aid of police cadet Al Cooper (COREY LIPMAN), they coerce Daniel into traveling to Thailand to entrap him in a big drug deal, all of which eventually draws Victor into his story.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For drug content, language throughout and some violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.