(2020) (Nicole Beharie, Alexis Chikaeze) (Not Rated)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A hard-working but poor mother prepares her daughter for the same college scholarship winning pageant that she won years earlier.
Back in 2004, Turquoise Jones (NICOLE BEHARIE) won the Miss Juneteenth Pageant in Fort Worth, Texas, but her promising future ended up derailed when she got pregnant by Ronnie (KENDRICK SAMPSON). They're still married but living apart, and their nearly 15-year-old daughter, Kai (ALEXIS CHIKAEZE), lives with Turquoise who works as a waitress at a barbeque joint run by Wayman (MARCUS M. MAULDIN) and Betty Ray (LIZ MIKEL) and does makeup work at the local funeral home run by Bacon (AKRON WATSON).
Fully aware of her contentious relationship with her own ultra-religious and alcoholic mother, Charlotte (LORI HAYES), Turquoise wants a better bond between her and Kai as well as a better future for her daughter. Accordingly, and with the Miss Juneteenth Pageant offering a full scholarship to any black college, she's pushing her girl to enter and win, and is trying to earn enough money to pay for Kai's dress and entry fee, what with Ronnie not being a reliable source of financial support.
But the teen is more interested in pursuing her passion for dance when not hanging out with fellow teen Quantavious (JAIME MATTHIS) who Turquoise sees as nothing but potential trouble. With the pageant quickly approaching, Turquoise tries to keep it together and hopes her daughter might win and thus avoid repeating the mistakes she made.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's possible some teens might be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: Not Rated
- The film is the equivalent of an R due to some brief strong language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.