(2020) (Keira Knightley, Jessie Buckley) (Not Rated)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A divorced mother joins radical social activists in protesting the upcoming Miss World beauty pageant in 1970 London.
It's 1970 and Sally Alexander (KEIRA KNIGHTLEY) is a young divorced mother hoping to gain admittance to University College London and who wants a better, equal footing future for her young daughter who she's raising with her boyfriend, Gareth (JOHN HEFFERNAN), with some help from her mother, Evelyn (PHYLLIS LOGAN).
While waiting for word of being accepted or not, Sally happens to meet Jo Robinson (JESSIE BUCKLEY) and her fellow activists, including Sarah (RUBY BENTALL), who are against all sexism and view Sally as only partially enlightened on the same matter.
But both look down on beauty pageants such as the Miss World contest run by Eric Morley (RHYS IFANS) with help from his wife, Julia (KEELEY HAWES). They're hoping to land comedian Bob Hope (GREG KINNEAR) to host the show, something that doesn't sit well with his wife, Dolores (LESLEY MANVILLE), who's all too aware of his wandering eye.
With the likes of Miss USA, Sandra Anne Wolsfeld (SUKI WATERHOUSE), Miss Grenada, Jennifer Hosten (GUGU MBATHA-RAW), and the second contestant from South Africa, dubbed Miss Africa South, Pearl Janssen (LOREECE HARRISON), joining pageant favorite Miss Sweden, Maj Christel Johansson (CLARA ROSAGER), Eric hopes the show will go off without a hitch. But he's unaware of what Sally, Jo, and others are planning on doing to protest the pageant's sexual objectification of women.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Some teens might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: Not Rated
- Not Rated, but it's the equivalent of a PG-13 for profanity (2 F-words) and sexually related content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.