(2020) (Dylan O'Brien, Jessica Henwick) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: Having survived so far in a post-apocalyptic world where insects and other cold-blooded critters have mutated into gargantuan monsters and most of the human population is dead, a young man sets out to be reunited with his girlfriend from seven years ago who now lives 85 miles away.
Seven years ago, Joel Dawson (DYLAN O'BRIEN) was a teenager in love with his teenage girlfriend, Aimee (JESSICA HENWICK). But after chemical compounds rained down on Earth from the successful effort of using missiles to destroy an approaching asteroid, all sorts of cold-blooded insects and animals mutated into gargantuan monsters.
After a year of battling them with military might, 95% of the world's population was dead, with the survivors living in underground bunkers all around the world. Including Joel and Aimee, albeit in groupings far apart, with Joel only having recently been able to contact her during the intervening years via brief and intermittent radio conversations.
Now the only single person in his bunker who's relegated to cooking and cleaning while others forage for food and battle the oversized monsters, Joel longs for his own romantic connection. And that specifically means Aimee and thus he decides he's going to hike 85 miles to her location to be with his long-lost love.
Those in his bunker think he's crazy but wish him well as he sets off. Luckily for him, a stray dog named Boy saves his life from one monster, and then he runs into Clyde (MICHAEL ROOKER) and his wiser and tougher than her age 8-year-old companion, Minnow (ARIANA GREENBLATT), who not only rescue him from certain death, but also then teach him how to survive on the surface until they continue on their journey without him.
As he continues on his way with Boy by his side, he must not only contend with all sorts of surprise encounters with varying types of monsters, but also incomplete news that Aimee's group has been rescued by navy man Cap (DAN EWING) and his two assistants, Dana (ELLEN HOLLMAN) and Rocko (TRE HALE), and could be leaving with them at any moment.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those into monster and/or post-apocalyptic movies may be interested, as might those who are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For action/violence, language, and some suggestive material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.