(2020) (Meryl Streep, Candace Bergen) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A self-absorbed author invites her nephew and her two college friends from long ago on a cruise to determine how those women feel about her.
Alice (MERYL STREEP) is an accomplished author whose newly promoted agent, Karen (GEMMA CHAN), has been tasked with finding out when her latest manuscript might be ready. Considering that the author is set to receive a literary award in London but doesn't fly, Karen arranges for Alice to sail aboard the Queen Mary 2 from New York. The author's only request is that she be allowed to bring along her young adult nephew, Tyler (LUCAS HEDGES), as well as her college friends from long ago -- Susan (DIANNE WIEST) and Roberta (CANDICE BERGEN) -- who she hasn't seen in decades.
While looking down on prolific mystery writer Kelvin Kranz (DAN ALGRANT) -- who's also traveling on the ship -- Alice wants Tyler to determine the states of mind of her friends from long ago. As he does that and starts to fall for Karen who he meets for the first time, Roberta searches for a man with money all while blaming her failed marriage and life after that on the belief that Alice based one of her past works on her and her life.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of someone in the cast (although only two of the main ones are younger performers).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.