(2020) (Steve Carell, Chris Cooper) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A political strategist tries to jump-start his career by having a retired Marine colonel run for mayor in a small Wisconsin town.
Having been humiliated in the 2016 Presidential campaign, Democratic consultant Gary Zimmer (STEVE CARELL) is looking to jump-start his career back into action and thinks he's found just the man to do that. He's Jack Hastings (CHRIS COOPER), a retired and widowed Marine colonel who's recently been seen online taking on the town council of Deerlaken, Wisconsin. His beef with them is over their desire to restrict the rights of undocumented workers who helped the town in the good days before the local military base closed.
Realizing the party needs to expand its base from the usual suspects, Gary sees the perfect "new" Democrat in Jack and shows up in the town in hopes of convincing him to take on the Republican incumbent, Mayor Braun (BRENT SEXTON), in the upcoming election. Despite or perhaps because of their small-town friendliness, Gary looks down on the locals but tries -- unsuccessfully -- to fit in, believing he can manipulate them into helping propel Jack to victory, including using his 28-year-old daughter, Diana (MACKENZIE DAVIS).
But Gary's initially successful work draws the attention of his long-time political rival, Faith Brewster (ROSE BYRNE), who shows up to put her campaign might behind Mayor Braun. From that point on, and as each ups their game and super PAC money starts flowing into the town, it's uncertain whose political maneuvering will ultimately prove successful.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into political comedies and/or are fans of anyone in the cast (mostly likely teens).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language including sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.