(2020) (Jessie Buckley, Jesse Plemons) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young woman accompanies her new boyfriend to meet his parents despite already contemplating breaking off the relationship with him.
Jake (JESSE PLEMONS) and his girlfriend of around seven weeks -- called several names but listed in the credits as Young Woman (JESSIE BUCKLEY) -- are heading toward his parents' remote farmhouse where she's to meet them for the first time and have dinner. It's intended to be just a quick, one-day trip, but the weather is getting bad and there's just something a bit off with Jake's mom (TONI COLLETTE) and his dad (DAVID THEWLIS), along with his relationship with them.
The Young Woman tries to be a good sport and just roll with the punches, but as we see cutaways to an older Janitor (GUY BOYD) working in a high school, things get progressively stranger, including the Young Woman's name and occupation repeatedly changing, as do the ages of Jake's parents. As she contemplates her relationship with him as well as life in general, it becomes increasingly clear that reality keeps changing.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest especially if they're fans of films directed by Charlie Kaufman ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Adaptation," etc.).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language including some sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.