(2020) (Tilda Cobham-Hervey, Evan Peters) (Not Rated)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A woman strives to make it in the music world and must contend with sexism and then the aftermath of her beyond her wildest dreams success.
It's 1966 and Helen Reddy (TILDA COBHAM-HERVEY) has flown from Australia to New York City where she believes she's going to have a record contract. But she's informed that there's little demand for female artists and thus is relegated to performing live in small dinner clubs.
Her luck seems to change when she meets fellow Aussie Lillian Roxon (DANIELLE MACDONALD), a music critic also living in NYC who's writing an encyclopedia on rock and roll artists. They became fast friends and at a birthday party that she's throwing for Helen, the young singer meets Jeff Wald (EVAN PETERS). He not only sweeps her off her feet, but later convinces her that they should move to Los Angeles to build her career from there.
After the move and their marriage, he's busy managing acts ranging from Tiny Tim to Deep Purple, but she's bored at home and wonders when her turn will come next. She eventually forces him to pester a record label exec until the latter gives in. That man does, Helen knocks her demo out of the park, and it's then off to the races and the top of the charts as she begins delivering one hit single after another.
But with success going to his head and cocaine clouding his mindset, Jeff's behavior begins to put a strain on their marriage, even while she continues to become one of the biggest recording artists in the world.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might have some interest if they're into the music scene, but it's highly unlikely most have ever heard of Helen Reddy.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: Not Rated
- The film isn't officially rated by the MPAA, but is the equivalent of an R due to profanity and drug use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) Take advantage of our Black Friday Membership Sale for a one-year membership,and save $10 off our regular price ($47), AND get 2 EXTRA MONTHS FREE (a Total Savings of more than 32%)! This offer happens only ONCE A YEAR and is only good NOW until midnight, Monday November 30, so don't wait!
You'll get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.