(2020) (Beanie Feldstein, Paddy Considine) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A British teen reinvents herself as a 1990s era music critic but must deal with the repercussions of her sudden success.
It's the 1990s and Johanna Morrigan (BEANIE FELDSTEIN) is a 16-year-old who lives in Wolverhampton, England with her parents -- Pat (PADDY CONSIDINE), a failed musician turned illegal dog breeder, and Angie (SARAH SOLEMANI), a woman worn out from having too many kids -- her still closeted brother, Krissi (LAURIE KYNASTON), and their three younger siblings.
Johanna wants to be a writer and has imaginary conservations with photos and images of famous people and characters from the past on her bedroom wall who've inspired her. Despite their support, her appearance on a TV show reading one of her poems goes disastrously wrong.
As does a short-lived interview for a weekly music publication. Inspired by another of her imaginary conservations, though, she storms back into the staff office and talks her way into covering new local bands. Reinventing herself as the avant-garde Dolly Wilde, Johanna becomes good enough in that role that she talks her way into an assignment interviewing singer-songwriter John Kite (ALFIE ALLEN) who senses a kindred spirit in the teen.
But when her fluff piece about him is rejected, she once again reinvents herself and dives fully into the persona of a belligerently harsh critic that makes her the talk of the town. But that fame and infamy mean she must deal with the repercussions of her sudden success.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teen and older preteen girls might be interested due to the teenage protagonist (played by Beanie Feldstein of "Booksmart" fame).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For sexual content, language throughout and some teen drinking.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.