(2020) (Sophia Lillis, Alice Krige) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: Sent away by their mother, a girl and her younger brother happen upon an older woman living alone in the woods -- who may or may not be a witch -- who gives them food and shelter.
- With their father dead and their mother mentally unstable, teenager Gretel (SOPHIA LILLIS) and her younger brother Hansel (SAMMY LEAKEY) are sent on their way, hoping to find a place to live with new guardians. Traveling through thick woods and eventually growing quite hungry, they happen upon a house inside which sits a banquet of food, seemingly for their taking. Hansel goes in to grab some but is confronted by an older woman, Holda (ALICE KRIGE), who ends up welcoming the kids with both food and beds in which they can sleep.
But while Hansel is quite content with their new situation, Gretel grows increasingly uneasy, what with Holda's somewhat creepy behavior, including seeing the girl as something of her otherworldly protégé. And then there are the nightmares that Gretel experiences that begin to blend with her reality. All of which makes her question what's really happening and what Holda's intentions are toward them.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into horror films set long ago.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For disturbing images/thematic content, and brief drug material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.