(2020) (Sophia Lillis, Alice Krige) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: Sent away by their mother, a girl and her younger brother happen upon an older woman living alone in the woods -- who may or may not be a witch -- who gives them food and shelter.
- With their father dead and their mother mentally unstable, teenager Gretel (SOPHIA LILLIS) and her younger brother Hansel (SAMMY LEAKEY) are sent on their way, hoping to find a place to live with new guardians. Traveling through thick woods and eventually growing quite hungry, they happen upon a house inside which sits a banquet of food, seemingly for their taking. Hansel goes in to grab some but is confronted by an older woman, Holda (ALICE KRIGE), who ends up welcoming the kids with both food and beds in which they can sleep.
But while Hansel is quite content with their new situation, Gretel grows increasingly uneasy, what with Holda's somewhat creepy behavior, including seeing the girl as something of her otherworldly protégé. And then there are the nightmares that Gretel experiences that begin to blend with her reality. All of which makes her question what's really happening and what Holda's intentions are toward them.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into horror films set long ago.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For disturbing images/thematic content, and brief drug material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.