(2020) (Steve Coogan, Isla Fisher) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: As preparations are made for a fashion tycoon's lavish 60th birthday party, flashbacks show how he made his fortune on the backs and misfortunes of others.
Sir Richard McCreadie (STEVE COOGAN) is a British fashion tycoon who made his fortune buying rival companies and driving them into the ground, but not before extracting plenty of money for himself, his now ex-wife, Samantha (ISLA FISHER), or his latest lover, Naomi (SHANINA SHAIK).
They and many others -- including his mother, Margaret (SHIRLEY HENDERSON), reality TV star daughter Lily (SOPHIE COOKSON) and bitter son Finn (ASA BUTTERFIELD) -- have assembled on the Greek isle of Mykonos for his lavish 60th birthday party. Others, such as assistants Melanie (SARAH SOLEMANI) and Amanda (DINITA GOHIL) try to handle the various logistics ranging from hiring musical acts to inviting celebrity guests and even building an amphitheater that will feature an actual live lion for a faux gladiator game.
At the same time, McCreadie's biographer, Nick (DAVID MITCHELL), watches the various attempts by many people trying to appease the tycoon's every wish, no matter how elaborate, while also attempting to remove displaced immigrants who are camped out on a nearby beach.
And as all of that occurs, we see flashbacks to McCreadie's formative years at a boarding school, his ruthless raiding of fashion materials and even rival companies, and him facing a harsh hearing inquiring about his ruthless tactics.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens and anyone who's a diehard fan of someone in the cast might be interested, but beyond that, it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For pervasive language and brief drug use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.