(2020) (Sally Hawkins, Alice Lowe) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young woman and her family try to contend with her being a paranoid schizophrenic.
Having been jilted on her wedding day back when she was a much younger woman (MORFYDD CLARK), Jane (SALLY HAWKINS) has since suffered from mental illness, including now being diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. She can still function to some degree in everyday life, but her behavior certainly puts a strain on her parents, Vivian (PENELOPE WILTON) and Dennis (ROBERT PUGH), and sisters Nicola (BILLIE PIPER) and Alice (ALICE LOWE).
While the latter seems the most adjusted of the bunch -- married to Tony (PAUL HILTON) with whom she has a 9-year-old son, Jack (SPENCER DEERE) -- Nicola, who's dating Lucy (RITA BERNARD-SHAW), looks down on Jane's behavior but then wants to imitate that for welfare checks, although she may be suffering from mental illness herself.
Always contending with a voice on the phone that seems to control much of her behavior, Jane finally seems to find happiness when she starts dating Mike (DAVID THEWLIS), a musician and fellow psychiatric patient. But with her condition -- especially when she's off her medication -- making reality uncertain, it's unclear how things will turn out for the woman.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast or have some interest in the subject of mental illness, it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language and some sexuality.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.