(2020) (Janelle Monáe, Jack Huston) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: An African-American woman plots her escape while being held as a slave along with others at a Confederate plantation.
Eden (JANELLE MONÁE) is a slave on a southern plantation where the owner's wife, Elizabeth (JENA MALONE), allows her daughter to name new incoming slaves to their "reformer plantation." While the confederate General (ERIC LANGE) is in charge, Captain Jasper (JACK HUSTON) manages the day to day operations and tells the newcomers, such as Julia (KIERSEY CLEMONS), that one of the rules is that no slaves speak without permission. Shocked by what's happened to her, Julia asks Eden how they plan on getting out of there, a sentiment shared by fellow slave Eli (TONGAYI CHIRISA). But having unsuccessfully already tried that, and now directly owned by the General, Eden knows they must lay low until the time is right to make their move.
Flash-forward to the present day and Veronica Henley (JANELLE MONÁE) is a married mother, sociologist, academic, and activist who often speaks of the horrors of slavery still affecting modern-day descendants of that systemic subjugation of black people. She's been invited to speak at a conference in New Orleans where she experiences more subtle racism, something her outspoken black friend, Dawn (GABOUREY SIDIBE), confronts head-on, while their white friend Sarah (LILY COWLES) hasn't noticed any problems at the hotel.
When the story returns to the past, Eden tries to figure out what her location is and how and when to make her move to escape from her confinement.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those into socially-based horror films might be interested, as may those who are fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For disturbing violent content, language, and sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.