(2020) (Kate Winslet, Saoirse Ronan) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A mid-19th century paleontologist ends up falling in love with a married woman who's been left in her care.
It's the mid-19th century and Mary Anning (KATE WINSLET) is a middle-aged paleontologist who lives in the South English coastal town of Lyme Regis where she lives with her mother, Molly (GEMMA JONES). Mary is known for her work in discovering fossils and her reputation has drawn the interest of well-to-do Roderick Murchison (JAMES McARDLE) who's arrived there with his wife, Charlotte (SAOIRSE RONAN).
Roderick wants to learn from Mary who reluctantly allows him to watch her work, but it's not long before he set off on the rest of his European tour, leaving Charlotte in the town in hopes that the proximity to the sea might buoy her spirits, what with them having lost a child recently.
Mary likewise initially wants nothing to do with Charlotte, but ends up caring for her when she comes down with a fever. That attention reignites a spark in Mary that was extinguished when a past lesbian relationship ended, and it's not long before Charlotte comes out of her shell and begins to feel the same way about Mary. As the two enter a secret relationship, it's unclear how things will play out, especially with life and her husband back in London waiting for Charlotte to return.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're a fan of either of the two leads, it's probably not that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For graphic sexuality, some graphic nudity and brief language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.