(2020) (Auli'i Cravalho, Justina Machado) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A talented high school senior must contend with various issues while holding down various jobs in hopes of making her dream of attending Carnegie Mellon a reality.
Amber Appleton (AULI'I CRAVALHO) is a high school senior in Portland, Oregon who, due to them being evicted, sleeps at night on the school bus her widowed mom, Becky (JUSTINA MACHADO), drives during the day. Amber's living situation is a secret to everyone, including her close friends Ty (RHENZY FELIZ), siblings Chad (GERALD ISAAC WATERS) and Jordan (TAYLOR RICHARDSON), and Ricky (ANTHONY JACQUES) whose single mom, Donna (JUDY REYES), is something of a second mom to Amber.
With the help of her performing arts teacher Mr. Franks (FRED ARMISEN), Amber hopes to attend Carnegie Mellon and holds down a number of jobs to make money to pursue that dream. That includes working in a seniors home where her upbeat demeanor is a near-constant faux irritant to one of the residents, Joan (CAROL BURNETT), who lives there.
Amber's situation becomes more complicated when her mom decides to start seeing a former, abusive boyfriend and starts drinking again, with neither development sitting well with the teen. A later tragedy then threatens to derail everything the teen has dreamed of, and she must learn to let others help her get through her tough situation.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Since its main characters are teens, those who come across this film on Netflix might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic content, some language and brief suggestive comments.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.