(2020) (Auli'i Cravalho, Justina Machado) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A talented high school senior must contend with various issues while holding down various jobs in hopes of making her dream of attending Carnegie Mellon a reality.
Amber Appleton (AULI'I CRAVALHO) is a high school senior in Portland, Oregon who, due to them being evicted, sleeps at night on the school bus her widowed mom, Becky (JUSTINA MACHADO), drives during the day. Amber's living situation is a secret to everyone, including her close friends Ty (RHENZY FELIZ), siblings Chad (GERALD ISAAC WATERS) and Jordan (TAYLOR RICHARDSON), and Ricky (ANTHONY JACQUES) whose single mom, Donna (JUDY REYES), is something of a second mom to Amber.
With the help of her performing arts teacher Mr. Franks (FRED ARMISEN), Amber hopes to attend Carnegie Mellon and holds down a number of jobs to make money to pursue that dream. That includes working in a seniors home where her upbeat demeanor is a near-constant faux irritant to one of the residents, Joan (CAROL BURNETT), who lives there.
Amber's situation becomes more complicated when her mom decides to start seeing a former, abusive boyfriend and starts drinking again, with neither development sitting well with the teen. A later tragedy then threatens to derail everything the teen has dreamed of, and she must learn to let others help her get through her tough situation.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Since its main characters are teens, those who come across this film on Netflix might show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic content, some language and brief suggestive comments.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.